Skip to main content

The Cooks 6 game winning run came to an end as Wingrave snatched a point in stoppage time, the third time they had come from behind on the day.

Sunday 6th November 2022




Cooks scorers;





The game was slow to get going with the Cooks appearing a little lethargic as Wingrave closed them down quickly, but Paul Carroll forced the first save of the game with his low shot, then on 15 minutes he went one better as he fired home his ninth goal of the season. Brother Steve played him through with a simple, yet highly effective pass that sprung the offside trap and Paul took it forward before placing his shot inside the keeper’s left-hand post from 20-yards out. The lead lasted a mere sixty-seconds though as a neat one-two cut us wide open inside the left of the box and Phil O’Brien in goal was given no chance with the finish.

The Cooks very nearly retook the lead a couple of minutes later when Paul picked out Steve Carroll with a great cross-field pass and he beat the keeper all ends up with his 20-yard shot, but the ball smacked the upright. Steve Carroll saw a weak shot saved after good work by James Lister, then a good ball from Lee Haines gave Ollie Reynolds a chance to run at the defence where he was brought down just outside the box. Steve Carroll went for the near post with his curling free-kick, but the keeper got down well to turn it behind for a corner. Paul Carroll had a little dig at his man after losing possession and the referee awarded a free-kick that Paul continued to argue about with the result being a trip to the sin-bin with 29 minutes of the game played.

Yates put his shot on target from 20-yards, but didn’t find enough power, then O’Brien was forced to make a good save as Wingrave broke through on the left. Steve Carroll and Lister both had shots blocked in quick succession, then Steve Carroll sent over a great cross from the left that Lister just couldn’t reach as he stretched his leg out in the centre. The Cooks thought for a second they had taken the lead just before the break when Mark Dent stooped low to head home a Ricky Smith cross, but the lino’s flag went up after his team’s defence had called for offside and the referee went with him.


Half-time; Wingrave 1 Cooks 1


Lister was well off target with a snap-shot from 25-yards out, then Wingrave had a great opportunity on the break, but the final shot was straight at O’Brien. Dent was shown the yellow card after taking his man out late on the flank just before a great passing move from the Cooks almost saw Paul Carroll in on goal, but a last gasp touch from a defender’s boot took the ball off his toes. The Cooks were back in front on 54 minutes with a very nice goal indeed. Danny Duggan lobbed the ball up into the box and Dent rose to flick it on to find an unmarked Ollie Reynolds deep inside the area and he calmly took the ball round the keeper before slotting home his seventh goal of the season from a close angle. Once again though we failed to hold on for long and a mix-up at the back allowed their player to nip in and poke the ball past the keeper on the edge of the box to make it 2-2 with 57 minutes played.

Steve Carroll played a free-kick into the box from the right after Reynolds had been fouled and although it was initially won by a defender’s head, it fell to Paul Raymond 8-yards out, but he hit his shot straight at the keeper. A great challenge from Dan Duggan won the ball back allowing Steve Carroll to find his brother inside the box, but a defender’s toe took the ball away from him as he prepared himself for a shot. A dangerous Steve Carroll corner caused a bit of a scramble inside the 6-yard box but nobody could convert it just before Raymond hit a good volley from 18-yards out that took a deflection wide for a corner. A neat turn on the left from Steve Carroll saw him deliver a great cross that Dent just failed to reach with his head as he launched himself toward the ball.

Paul Carroll won a free kick a foot outside the box on the left-hand side and Steve Carroll stepped up to curl it around the wall and just inside the far post to restore the lead for the third time in the game. 83 minutes played and 16 for the season for Steve, but would we be able to see the game out this time. Steve Carroll played the ball into the box for Raymond, but he couldn’t find space for a shot and a defender touched it back to his keeper who picked it up. Back-pass? Not given anyway. The Cooks played the ball about nicely on the somewhat tufty, wet grass as they saw the clock down, but we then gave away a needless free-kick wide on the left and when it was played to their number-six, he curled in a beauty of shot that found the far top corner of the net to make it 3-3 with 92 minutes already on the clock.


Should have won this game in truth, but well played to Wingrave who worked their socks off for ninety-plus minutes and made it very difficult for the Cooks to create much going forward and hit us on the break whenever they got the opportunity. We remain top of the pile tonight despite dropping two points and Its back to Compton Park next Sunday as we entertain Oxfordshire based Upper Heyford Vets in another league match and hopefully get back to winning ways.


Cooks; 1. Phil O’ Brien 2. Ollie Reynolds 3. Lee Haines © 12. Gary Duggan 5. Phil Hanger 6. Sam Duggan 14. James Lister 8. Ricky Smith 16. Ryan Yates 10. Steve Carroll 17. Paul Carroll. Subs all used; 4 Mark Dent 7. Craig Smith 9. Paul Raymond 11. Cormac Hamill 15. Dan Duggan.

Yellow card; Dent (50) Foul.

Sin-bin; P. Carroll (29)

Leave a Reply