Skip to main content





After finishing the previous season in a very respectable twelfth place, Scott Carlin was hopeful of pushing on this season with a majority of the squad that had finished impressively promising to be back after the summer. However, he was to find himself with yet another rebuild when pre-season training started with no fewer than ten players moving on to fresh pastures, many of them the more experienced members of the squad. Pharrell Anderson and Ben Gough opted to try their luck at step four with AFC Rushden & Diamonds (Pharrell later moving to Cambridge City)), Luca Purse went even higher with Kettering Town, but also found himself at Diamonds a couple of months into the season. Louie Barrett went to Leighton Town where he has made a real name for himself in their first season back at step four, Bruce Tsinosis went to Cambridge City and Harry Waple-Moors decided to try and make the grade at his parent club Kettering Town, but would later feature against us on loan to Desborough Town and we all know how that finished. Perry Ronayne looked like he was moving to Eynesbury Rovers but that didn’t work out and although he looked at one point to be coming back to Compton Park, injury was to rule him out for the whole season and he signed for his former club Kempston Rovers. The others were all to sign for Wellingborough Town with Jake Stone taking Ash Bodycote, Jessi Obeng and skipper Patryk Cichosz with two of them staying to pick UCL champions medals.

Biff at least had his coaching staff remain loyal with assistant Andy Batty and coaches Ryan Farmer and Nathan Gaunt alongside him as he set about replacing those that had jumped ship and it would be an even younger squad that the one he had during his first season at the club.



The pre-seasons friendlies got underway on the 3G pitch at Redwell Leisure Centre in Wellingborough against Sileby Rangers and with a large number of trialists on show, we found ourselves 2-0 down against a far more experienced team, but goals from second half subs Stanley Channell and Nathan Bell-Toxtle saw us fight back to draw 2-2. Next up came Irchester United on the back pitch at Compton Park and although the Romans play in the same division as Sileby, that is where the similarities ended. The Cooks bossed the game from start to finish and were 5-0 before the break and even though they took their foot off the pedal in the second half, they still ran out very comfortable 7-0 winners. Forwards Dylan Wilson and Jack Connor played together for the first time and they both scored braces, while fellow front man Jamie Hall headed one home too. Harley Mallard had opened the scoring in this one and Bailey Weatherly came on to add the seventh in the second half.

A trip to Harpole from step seven produced a very good game which ended one apiece at Larkhall Lane on a Tuesday evening with Mallard again opening the scoring, the newly appointed captain making it two-in-two after just three minutes, but this time it didn’t spark an avalanche as the Comb side levelled things up. A home game under the lights saw Kettering Town inflict our first defeat of pre-season as their mix of current and very experienced trialists ran out 5-0 winners, then the warm-up games came to an end at Melton Town where we again let in five but did score twice ourselves in an end to end game. A cracker from Weatherly early on gave us the lead with Ben Dimond getting our second, but the home side were deserved winners on the day and had former Cooks striker Tom Wakley on target twice. One significant feature that day was the return of keeper Adam North who had been a regular at step three North Leigh since leaving the Cooks and he was a massive signing for Carlin on the eve of the season.





The new look Cooks kicked off their United Counties League Premier Division South season at home to Coventry United and it was to be a great start for the new look team as they rolled over the Red & Greens with an impressive 3-0 win. Stanley Channell, Jack Connor, Ben Dimond, Damien Osoimoejiokhian, Nathan Bell-Toxtle, Charlie Pearson and Olly Taylor all made their Cooks debuts that day, while Adam North started his second spell at Compton Park and celebrated it with a clean sheet. Channell opened the scoring after just 4 minutes before goals from Alex Parkes and an absolute cracker from Jamie Hall rounded off a perfect start to the season.



The first away game saw us head up the M1 on the first Tuesday night of the season and we maintained our 100% start with a 2-1 victory at Lutterworth Town. Summer signing Dylan Wilson was available and he celebrated his third Cogenhoe ‘debut’ with the opening goal of the game when he fired home from close range and half-time sub Channell made it two-in-two for himself when he headed home the second within a minute of coming on. Benjamin Adomako pulled one back for the Swifts, but the Cooks were good for the three points. The Emirates F.A Cup was next on the agenda, but unfortunately, we bowed out at the first hurdle after two epic games against Westfields. The game in Hereford saw us come from behind twice to earn a replay as Olly Barnes had given the home team the half-time advantage, but Wilson levelled things up in the 72nd minute. It was advantage Westfields once more when Dan Stoneman fired home seven minutes from time, but sub Hall became the third Cooks player to net twice this season with a fantastic goal two minutes into stoppage time. The replay three days later was a mirror image of the first with Wilson giving us the lead only for Adam Newbury to equalise. An own goal saw us back in front, but a late leveller from Cameron Davies took the tie to extra-time and eventually penalties and it was the visitors who progressed 5-4 on spot kicks. Josh Jones was shown two yellow cards in extra time in a game spoiled by some refereeing that words alone cannot put justice too.

It was back to the bread and butter of the league and a trip to Desborough Town who had also played 120 minutes in a cup replay and it showed as two weary looking teams played out a 0-0 draw, but the Cooks five game unbeaten start to the season came to a crashing end at home to a very hungry Bugbrooke St Michaels who hit four without reply under the Compton Park lights. Tom Walton, Dylan Surace and Calvin Green were all on target in the first half and Kevin Shehi killed the game off with another two minutes after the restart. Another home game followed and the Cooks came from behind to earn a point against Histon. Max York had given the Stutes the lead on 58 minutes, but Wilson popped up with his third of the season in a game that we saw Tommy Curry mark his return to the club, then we headed down to Heathrow to play Bedfont in the Isuzu F.A Vase and took a 1-0 win thanks to an early goal from Jack Connor. It was a memorable day for more than just the win as Bailey Weatherly suffered a broken arm in a game played virtually underneath the Heathrow landing flight path and we were treated to some thunder and lightning too from half-time onwards, while Earl Atat also made his Cooks debut. The final game of the month saw the Cooks add to their points tally in the league with a 2-1 home win over Eynesbury Rovers. Goals from Wilson and Jones had put us into a great position; however, it was different half-time team talk after Dom Mason pulled one back in first-half stoppage time. Sileby keeper Dean Love donned the gloves for this game as North was away and the second half proved to be goalless meaning the Cooks had 11 points from their first five games, an excellent return given Biff’s enforced rebuild in the summer.



Unbeaten league leaders Racing Club Warwick came to Compton Park to kick off the month of Autumn and they were sent home with that record in tatters. Well, we became the first team to beat them in the UCL anyway. Wilson opened the scoring on 12 minutes and skipper Mallard made it two on 36. In similar fashion to our previous game, Archie Hamp reduced the arrears before the break and the visitors were level on 55 minutes through an unfortunate own by Mallard who joined the ‘scored for both sides in a game’ select band of players. The bookies would have had the Racers odds-on to win this one now, but Wilson stepped up with his second goal of the game (his fifth of the season) on 63 minutes when he netted from the penalty spot and the morning leaders were knocked off their perch.

Spirits were high as we made the long trip up to Nottingham to play Division One team Clifton All Whites in the preliminary round of the United Counties League Knock-Out Cup, but the tails were firmly between their legs following a 4-0 horror show that saw us well beaten by the lower ranked club. New signing Sonny Knights who had joined us from Daventry Town came off the bench to make his Cooks debut in the second half, but the headlines were all with Clifton who netted through Sam Leggitt and Callum Smith in the first half with subs David Kolapo and Ricco Spencer coming off the bench to round things off in the second. A fully deserved win for the Division One boys on the day. We headed back up the M1 seven days later, turning off a few junctions earlier as we headed to G.N.G Oadby Town’s Riverside Ground and although this was a much tighter affair, we were beaten for the second game in a row on the road. Mussa Bham gave the home side the lead on 16 minutes, but a rush of blood from keeper Fred Craven changed the mood of things early in the second half when he raced out of his area and took out Parkes with an awful ‘challenge’. With the home team reduced to ten-men for the final 35 minutes, the Cooks launched attack after attack on the home goal, but they didn’t manage to make the breakthrough until the 87th minute when sub Knights scored his first goal for the club from close range. The Cooks smelt all three points now and paid the price for pushing forward too much when a quick ball up field found Zaakir Bham unmarked and he finished brilliantly from distance to give the ten-man team the points a minute from time.

Another cup game followed as we hosted Northampton Town U23 in the Northants F.A Hillier Senior Cup and despite a good performance from the boys, they were beaten on penalties for the second time this season. Neo Dobson had given the Cobbers a very early lead after he had ghosted through unmarked to net at the far post, but Wilson took the tie to spot-kicks with a well taken goal seven minutes from the end. The Cobblers youngsters edged past us 4-3 to progress with two players in their team that were to play a part in the Cogenhoe season in Josh Rayfield and Jamari Hart.

Cup action continued with a home tie against Spartan South Midlands League Division One side Winslow United as we continued our F.A Vase campaign. A first half Wilson double had been sandwiched by former Liverpool players Aaron King’s equaliser as we lead at the break, but the second half belonged to the Cooks who netted three more through Connor, Knights and Keiron Mobbs in an emphatic 5-1 victory against a team that would earn promotion to step six via the play-offs at the end of the season. To compound the visitor’s misery, Simon King added to his tally of red cards late on with a reckless challenge that left referee Darren Lander with no other option, whatever the scoreline might have been. It was back to UCL action and our first trip to Rugby Borough on a night that a gale-force wind blew the rain straight down the pitch towards the town end goal. The Cooks had this at their backs from the start and despite amassing an amazing 25 shots at goal in the first half, but thanks to a combination of great keeping by Jake Bull, the woodwork and some backs-to-the-wall defending, we somehow failed to make any of them count. The second half was closer, but we still had a few chances that we would have taken on another day, but in the end we were made to pay when Sam Lockley ran clear to fire over North three minutes into stoppage time and give the home side an unlikely 1-0 win. The final game of the month was at home to in-form Daventry Town who boasted the prolific Leon Lobjoit up top alongside the equally experienced Nabil Shariff and these two were to net three of the five goals the visitors plundered that afternoon. With skipper Mallard unavailable, Carlin brought in ex-Walsall U18 centre-back Noel Angafor and he was to be given a baptism of fire in his first game in senior football, while Luke Bullement also made his Cooks debut that day. Lobjoit and Connor Furlong were on target before the break and despite pulling one back through an excellent finish from Callum Farmer, the Town went straight back down the other end to restore their two-goal margin through Shariff. Ryan Bell added the fourth and Lobjoit popped up with his second late on to round off a 5-1 away win. In truth the Cooks hadn’t played that badly, but Daventry were on top of their game in this point of the season and their experience really shone through.



A long trek out into the Fens to face another top five team in March Town United ensued and despite a solid performance from the Cooks, Danny Emmington’s free-kick five minutes before the break proved to be enough to give the Hares three points, although Wilson was millimetres away from changing that late on when his shot came back into play off the inside of the far post. The games didn’t get any easier for the Cooks as a Tuesday night trip to second-placed St Neots followed and so did another narrow 1-0 defeat. Jordan Brown’s ninth minute follow up after North had done well to save James Hatch’s effort for the only goal of the game, but again there really hadn’t been too much between the sides on the day. Sharma Bako came off the bench in this one to make his Cooks debut, while Dalton Leon picked up two yellow cards in the same incident to leave us a man down for the final 36 minutes.

For the third game running we found ourselves away to a team in the top five, this time it was leaders and eventual champions Wellingborough Town in a Tuesday night local derby at the Dog & Duck. After a couple of unfortunate narrow defeats, this time we were well beaten by the better side as Jake Stone’s boys romped home 3-0. Biff brough in former Cooks midfielder Troy Johnston to try and add some experience to the midfield, while another new signing in Callum Swain made his Cook bow from the bench in the second half, but it was a former Cooks player who had the last laugh as Tom Iaciofano netted twice after the break to add too Neo Richard-Noel’s first half opener.

A break from the losing streak in the league saw Eastwood CFC come to Compton Park in the F.A Vase, but the result proved to be the same. Decked out in pink and grey, the visitors had the edge for most of the game led by former Kettering Town (amongst many others) striker Aaron O’Connor who is old enough to be the father of all the Cogenhoe team. Kamani Wilson opened the scoring just after the half-hour mark and O’Connor made it 0-2 shortly after the restart. Leon pulled one back for the Cooks but it proved to be a false dawn and Tyler Blake finally put the game to bed with the Notts teams third deep into stoppage time.

The Cooks had now lost seven in a row in all competitions and would have been right down there in the relegation places if it hadn’t been for that great start to the season, but they had a chance to stop the rot with a home game against strugglers Godmanchester Rovers. Recent signing Jai Newell-Hollely made his debut from the bench in this one and he was joined by Weatherly who returned to action for the first time since breaking his arm at Bedfont. The minutes were ticking away with the game remaining goalless, but it was Weatherly who proved to be the match winner with a great goal on 78 minutes as the Cooks finally got back to winning ways. Any hopes of making it back-to-back wins were dealt a bitter blow with a desperate second half showing at home to Easington Sports. It was all going to plan when Johnston headed the Cooks in front on 22 minutes, but that was as good as it got as Callum Convey, Jacon Humphreys and Chay Buckingham all found the target after the break.



Perhaps smarting from the defeat we inflicted on them earlier in the season, Racing Club Warwick were determined to show us what they were made of and raced into a scintillating 3-0 lead before the break on the 3G at Hampton Road. Carlin welcomed back Ben Gough and also handed a debut to former Long Buckby keeper John Meadows who came in to replace Adam North who had left to join Wellingborough in the week. Dex Nkrumah also marked his return to the Cooks when he came off the bench early in the second half. Josh Parsons, and Archie Hamp (twice) had all but killed the game off in the first 45 minutes and when James Hancocks made it four three minutes after the restart we feared we could be looking at a cricket score. The Cooks did manage to get themselves going though and could have reduced the arrears, but Louie Monaghan added a fifth for the home side who ran out very comprehensive 5-0 winners on the day.

The Cooks didn’t have a lot of time to lick their wounds following the heavy defeat in Warwick as they travelled to play a Daventry team who had also put five past us the reverse fixture a few weeks previous, but this game was a million miles away from that afternoon at Compton Park. A great strike from Weatherly gave us the lead on 14 minutes and Bullement turned home a second on 37 as we lead by two at the break. Needing to contain that lead, it didn’t go to plan as Shariff pulled pone back in the first minute of the second half and then it was all-square at 2-2 on 55 minutes when Furlong found the back of the net. Both sides had chances, but it was the home team who got their noses in front for the first time when Shariff grabbed his second late on, but there was still time for Cooks debutant Bradley Ilunga to plant a header past the keeper to earn a point from an entertaining 3-3 draw. I have to mention keeper John Meadows though who was fantastic between the sticks and made some great saves to deny the home side. The final game of a weather affected month saw the Cooks host bottom club Leicester Nirvana and despite being second best for much of the first half, they scored twice in the final few minutes of the half through Gough and Connor. The Cooks were much better after the break and although William Clarke pulled one back, the Cooks held strong to take the points 2-1.



A combination of heavy rain and the occasional frost meant the Cooks were only able to get on the pitch three times in December, starting away at Bugbrooke with revenge on the menu following the heavy defeat they inflicted on us at Compton Park. A great free kick from Weatherly gave us the initiative late in the first half and Mobbs fired home a second two minutes after the break and although Ed Panter pulled one back, former Cooks player Carter Price got himself sent-off and the ten men couldn’t get themselves back on level terms. To quote the great John Meadows, “death, taxes and Cogenhoe United winning 2-1 on a Saturday” as the boys did it for the third week on the trot with visiting Lutterworth Town their latest victims. Biff had added a couple of players to his squad in the week with former skipper Paddy Cichosz returning from Wellingborough and he was joined in the squad by exciting winger Dominik Wysocki. Connor opened the scoring on 7 minutes, but Nuno Monteiro pegged us back and the game was heading for a stalemate until Mallard popped up with an added time winner.

The Cooks travelled to Newport Pagnell Town on Boxing Day and we looked well on course to extend our three match winning streak after going two-up, but it wasn’t to be as the Swans hit back to win it in added time. With a few players unavailable for the Christmas holiday, Biff brought in Cobblers U18s pair Matty Ireland and Josh Rayfield and they were both given a chance to impress, which they took with maturity beyond their years. Weatherly had given the Cooks lead into the break and Ireland set up Connor for a second from a classic breakaway and even when Ben Ford pulled one back, we still had the old 2-1 scoreline in our favour. However, the run was about to come to an end as sub Nathan Olukanmi headed home in the 90th minute and Ford snatched the winner three minutes later to bring our four game unbeaten run to an end. The final game of the year was at home to leaders Wellingborough Town and Jack Connor’s late penalty cancelled out former Cook Will Bates cracker as the honours were shared in a 1-1 draw.

January 2024


The New Year kicked off with a home game against Rugby Borough and some revenge was gained for the late, late defeat at their place as Connor snatched it even deeper into added time. Rugby player-manager Justin Marsden had given the visitors the lead, but Jones pegged them back with five minutes remaining and Connor headed home the deciding goal with 95 minutes on the stopwatch as we recorded another 2-1 victory. The following Saturday we hosted relegation battlers Desborough and for the second time this season the two sides failed to notch a single goal between them and with the monsoon season still very much with us, these proved to be our only two games to go ahead in the month.



The home game against St Neots saw the Saints complete a 1-0 double over the Cooks with Rhys Thorpe netting the only goal from the penalty spot with the incident also seeing Ilunga harshly sent off. A trip to the Fens followed and a respectable 2-2 draw in a very entertaining game at Yaxley. The Cooks finished with ten men again, although the game was already into added time when Ben Dimond was shown a straight red card for a ‘punch’ that the home team’s Veo clearly showed didn’t happen. He was still banned though of course. The Cooks took the lead in this one when Atat scored his first goal for the club, but the Cuckoos quickly turned it around with two goals in three minutes from Oleksandr Muzychuk and Rio Henson. Jamari Hart, another Cobblers youngster, came off the bench to make his Cogenhoe debut in this game, but it was his teammate Rayfield who supplied the cross that Connor stooped to head home the equaliser from and earn the Cooks a deserved point.

A Tuesday night trip to Leicester Nirvana saw the bottom club bring in a few players to bolster their squad and the game finished goalless on a very heavy pitch at Hamilton Park, but the month ended with three points for the Cooks as Connor struck again early in the second half to see off GNG Oadby Town 1-0 back in the village. Biff brought in Tejan Thomas from AFC Rushden & Diamonds on dual-registration and he impressed on his debut for the Cooks in this game.



After a number of bad-weather enforced postponements, March would be a busy month for the Cooks and it kicked off with a tough game against promotion chasing Aylestone Park at Compton Park and despite a good showing from the young Cooks, experienced told in the end with the Leicester side returning home with all three points. The drama started before the game when the referee failed to show up or even contact the club, so Ben Dimond took over the assistant’s role and young Ben Grundy stepped up confidently with the whistle, but it appeared that this game was doomed when a power cut plunged the village into darkness early in the game. Thankfully power was resumed though, and the visitors got their noses in front through Adam Beccasi just before the break and they doubled their lead through Sam Preston just after the hour. Knights pulled one back with a well-made goal sixty seconds later, but an unfortunate own goal from Mobbs and a heavily deflected shot from Dom Watts gave Park an unassailable 4-1 lead which was to be the final score. Another new face in the Cooks squad for this one was Takula Chijota who made his bow in the second half.

The Cooks couldn’t match their performance at Yaxley when the Cuckoos came to us for the return fixture and in truth they never really got going as goals from Julinho Gomes and Muzychuk gave the visitors a 2-0 win, but we were much better three days later as we held play-off chasers March 1-1 at Compton Park as Connor cancelled out Matt Foy’s opener. Easington away saw the Cooks a little light on numbers, but they came within seconds of recording an away win at Addison Road. Connor put us ahead from the penalty spot after some great play by Weatherly, but Leam Howards levelled things up in first half stoppage time. Hart put us back in front from closer range after being set up by a great run and cross from Connor, but although Meadows pulled off a great save to keep out Josh Reilly’s stoppage time penalty, the Sports man got to the rebound first to fire home.

A bit of a Tuesday night horror show followed as Godmanchester Rovers eased their relegation fears with a 2-0 win over us on the worst surface in the league in a game we really didn’t do ourselves any favours in. Former Cooks striker Manni Gbejuade netted both goals for the home side late in the game, the first from the penalty spot and the second after we had given the ball away cheaply trying to play out from the back on a pitch that resembled an allotment. Carlin brought in Kai Fifield before the trip to Coventry United and he was to make his debut for the club in the second half, but by this point we were already heading for a heavy loss on the 3G pitch at the impressive Butts Arena. We possibly edged the first half even though we trailed to Stanley Dube’s effort, but it was a totally different game after the break as Charlie Morgan, Ethan Baynham, Charlie Stanton and finally Dube again sent us home on the wrong end of a 5-0 scoreline.

We rounded off the month with a trip to strugglers Eynesbury, who like Godmanchester, were battling to stay up and once again we returned home empty handed. One-time Cooks player Declan Rogers had given the home side the half-time advantage and and Adrian O’Hara doubled that early in the second half. Hart puled one back but Fraelias Mienambolo restored the two-goal margin although Cichosz made it an exciting final few minutes with a late goal, the home side held on for a 3-2 victory.



Into the final month of the season for our last three games and it started well with a 1-0 win at home to sixth place Newport Pagnell. Young striker Jack Kuspert scoring the only goal of the game in his first start for the club to give us a deserved win. The game of the season followed as we made our first trip to Aylestone Park who occupied second spot going into the game and needing three points to secure a home semi-final in the play-offs. A free-kick into the wind that completely deceived the Park keeper gave Fifield his first goal for the Cooks early in the game, but the home team hit straight back to level through Sam Hollis and Billy Kee pounced to put the home side ahead just before the break. The Cooks came out strong after the break and Knights netted twice from similar positions to swing the game back in our favour and although Meadows made another great penalty save, he couldn’t stop Kee from bagging his second goal of the afternoon to make the score 3-3. It looked like that would be that, but with the game five minutes beyond the ninety, leading scorer Connor popped up with the winning goal to cap off a great afternoon for the boys in Leicester. Aylestone 3-4 Cogenhoe United.

The season finale came at Histon, a team just above us in the table, but it proved to be one of our worst first-half performances of the season and we headed into the break 4-0 down. Matt Hayden (2), Jake Kerins (15), Joe Sutton (27) and Max York (36) all found the back of the net with the half-time whistle something of a relief for travelling supporters. The second half was much closer though, but it was the visitors who made it 5-0 late on with a great finish from Dan Gould, although we did hit the woodwork a couple of times ourselves.

Not a great way to end the season and with the club now without a chairman and the management team not knowing if they will still be at the club next season, we all headed off into the unknown.

To be continued in 2024/25……..hopefully.



A season of highs and lows and in my opinion and a very respectable one considering the summer events and the fact that the last batch of matches were played with none of us knowing if there would even be a club next season.

A fourteenth-place finish for me was a decent return even though we had flirted with a top-ten place for quite a while. We took a point off eventual champions Wellingborough, three off of both second and third placed Racing Warwick and Aylestone, plus one off of March. A pretty good return against the top five with just St Neots doing the double over us. It was against the lower placed teams that we let ourselves down on a few occasions and these were the games that cost us a top half finish in the end. There were a few heavy defeats amid some great results, but this was very much a learning curve for our young squad and in truth we only really let ourselves down in a couple of games over the whole season.

Jack Connor topped both the appearances and goalscorers charts with 44 and 12 respectively while Keiron Mobbs made the step up from reserve to Premier Division football look easy as he featured 40 times during the season. Dylan Wilson was second in the scoring charts with ten goals, even though he left during the season initially for Leighton Town and then after just two appearances he moved to his hometown club AFC Rushden & Diamonds. Sonny Knights and Bailey Weatherly both chipped in with five apiece while John Meadows deserves a mention for his heroics at the opposite end of the pitch which included a number of memorable penalty saves.













Top scorer Jack Connor heads home one of his 12 goals.





Dylan Wilson enjoying one of his 10 goals he scored for the Cooks before moving on.






Jamie Hall’s iconic celebration. Sadly we only saw this twice before he moved to Long Buckby in search of more game time.



John Meadows, an inspired signing who came in to replace Adam North.


Keiron Mobbs had a fantastic first full season at this level.


Gaffer Scott Carlin who had to rebuild again in the summer, but put together a great young squad that with loads of potential to go onto better things, either at Compton Park or above.

Leave a Reply